Tuesday, January 22, 2013

THYME ON 43RD ~ Brookswood Luminaire




When people lose someone they love, the inclination to forget self-care is a consistent factor in the grieving process. Recently, it was brought up in conversation that I must be doing well as I am able to write posts in my blog. I shudder at the notion that someone can define me as in good health, merely because I chose to share words. For me to be carrying on daily, it takes every bit of strength and courage; even to face the world. It is much easier to ‘hide’ behind a computer screen than to actually be in society on a regular basis. When I do venture out, it is to specific places where I feel that I will be in control. Additionally, I prefer locations which reflect the harmony I am seeking.  

THYME ON 43RD JAPANESE GARDENS is one of those settings that transformed my intention of finding some peace into reality. This stunning place was discovered in December of last year, when I was not looking forward to the holiday season.

Upon arriving at the location in Langley, B.C, the grounds had been transformed into a breathtaking winterscape of brilliant LED lights, Christmas décor and a fusion of warmth; all found in the outdoor structures. 
Every detailed adornment was blended in a whimsical style. Combining the beauty of nature with exceptional golden baubles, lighted deer and a captivating angel, gave the impression of tranquility layered with elegance. 
 My attention was pulled in many directions as I kept finding the loveliest of objects interspersed amongst the Japanese Gardens. Walking over the wooden bridge, I was drawn in by the sound of a cascading waterfall, which plunged into a pond filled with multicolored Koi fish. I strolled along the stone interlocked with lush thyme and found myself, along with my partner, being welcomed by the element of fire at the outdoor hearth.

It was pointed out the roof covering the seating area was active with living plants, which promote a clean atmosphere and is a habitat for birds in the area to come nest. All of the spectacular grounds were created and designed by native Japanese landscapers. 

As a person who has volunteered many years of dedication to community and assisting others, I understand the value and importance of giving back. What impressed me with THYME ON 43RD JAPANESE GARDENS was the owner- Evelyn Faulkner’s purpose for opening her one- acre gardens to the general public; for a period of time back in December. She kindly asked for any donations to be made at the gate entrance to the gardens, in support of Ronald McDonald House. 


A recent post by Evelyn Faulkner on THYME ON 43RD JAPANESE GARDENS Facebook page states:    
Thank you to everyone for their generous donations to Ronald McDonald House during our recent event, Brookswood Luminaire! We raised $5200.00 which enables a family to stay at the house for 80 nights! Well done!”

As I am not on Facebook anymore, I was fortunate to still be able to access the update and provide to my readers, the generous contributions people made over the holiday season, to the worthy cause of Ronald McDonald House.

Being a mother who has lost a child, I was able to connect with Evelyn Faulkner’s purpose of supporting an organization that assists families when they are facing challenging times. For me, I found grace under the shelter of palm trees, in the midst of a darken night aglow with marvelous simplicity. It was a place where I could abandon my sorrow and accustom myself to the sheer idea of wellness. 


This one evening in December, uncertain of what I may find, I was greeted by the devotion of those wanting to share the true essence of what Christmas is all about: to stir the imagination, ignite the senses and find the light within all of us. 


By T L. Alton 

* I would like to further add THYME ON 43RD  JAPANESE GARDENS is seeking Corporate Sponsorship. As Evelyn would like to open her garden 1 day a week for respite, for caregivers and people needing healing in any way. If she were able to secure Sponsorship, she considers it a blessing.


* Thyme on 43rd is located at 21004 43 Ave. For further information on booking THYME ON 43RD JAPANESE GARDENS for Fundraisers, Private Tours and Events, Contact: info@thymeon43rd.com or 
Telephone: 604-534-5902

3 comments:

  1. The gardens are amazing alot of time spent creating a masterpiece & is where you could find peace thank you for sharing for agood cause. paul xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What nights are the gardens open to the public in December 2013?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna, You would need to contact the owner of Thyme on 43rd, Evelyn Faulkner directly to speak with her about your interest.
      Telephone: 604-534-5902
      Regards, Tonya

      Delete

Please feel free to post a comment. Remember after you have written something, please click on the options given, press continue and then click on PUBLISH. Thank You :)