Thursday, July 24, 2014

The Legacy of My Rae-bow Child

She who leaves a trail of Glitter is never forgotten…


Much like the glimmers from the hues of a rainbow, my daughter Shayla Rae Dawn Driver existed in this world. Her gift to connect with others, seeing past their brokenness, unfolded in all she did. From assisting the homeless and volunteering for many non-profit organizations, she wore her colours of vibrancy with pride.

An annual event at the University campus she attended saw her sleep out on the cold concrete, in support of those in need. Shivering in her sleeping bag, with a thermos of coffee and a granola bar, my daughter later confided in me that it was important for her to walk a mile in someone else’s shoes.

In Grade 11, she shaved her hair off for Cancer- raising both funds and awareness. Afterwards, Shayla found out her long pony-tail could not be donated for a wig as she was a hair model and her hair had been dyed too many times. With a smile of reassurance and giving me a wink, my babygirl laughed that it would no longer take her a long time to get ready for school!
On another occasion, she gathered others together in Kelowna’s City Park for donations of winter blankets, mitts and toques for those living on the streets.

At her high school, when she found someone whose shoes were tattered and wrecked, Shayla kicked off her brand new runners and gave them up, without any hesitation. That day, when she came home bare foot-she beamed with declaration that the other person needed them more than she did!

For all of the beauty she saw in the world, Shayla faced difficulties, including being bullied for most of her life. My daughter’s unique Rae-bow attitude saw many target her from things such as her weight, her Aboriginal heritage (she was part MĂ©tis) and for always standing up for the underdog. Yet, she never backed down if she believed in something.

The day of December 12, 2011 is etched in my soul, as her grieving mother…I will never get over the moment of hearing that my beloved daughter had been killed. Shayla died- less than 2 weeks before Christmas -in a single vehicle crash on McKinley Landing Road, near Kelowna, British Columbia.  It matters to me the timing; as I was suppose to have her spend the holidays with me at the west coast, just seven days later. On the spur of the moment, she decided to drive from Kamloops to Kelowna, to see a new baby that had been born in her family. Much to my relief, Shayla made the trip and the last picture I have of her is leaning over the baby, with a lovely smile.  Unfortunately, the next day saw my daughter passed away. Her car left the road and crashed through the ice, upside down into the reservoir.

Over the past 2 and ½ years, I have blogged in great detail the painful journey of losing her. Amongst the tears, there has been grace in The Heart Pebble Movement and the changes made to bring safety to the once deadly stretch of McKinley Road. Also included in my posts and shared with my reader's, is a monument with my daughter’s picture, name, a butterfly and her favourite quote etched on it~"Be the Change You Want to See in This World." This granite tribute is a connection to her passion for rock hounding and granite also symbolizes a stone of protection. It was set out where the crash occurred and has seen many paying their respects to a life taken far too soon. 

Recently, a new memorial tribute has been installed that sees the rainbow arc of Shayla come full circle.

While growing up and spending time between my home and her father Dave’s residence, our daughter playfully splashed in the waters of Okanagan Lake. Much to Shayla’s delight, Dave’s home overlooked the beauty of the waters. Every chance she had to go swimming, Shayla would climb down the embankment and be immersed for hours of fun, both in the lake and on the beach. 

At the time, the area was under developed and getting to the water was tricky, because no steps were there to guide you up or down. Furthermore, if you had to make the uphill climb, there was no place of refuge for you to catch your breath or dust the sand off your feet.
Now, through endless dedication and the compassion of many people, Dewdney Beach #1 access has begun transformation.

First, a series of well structured stairs and connected wooden railings, were built to welcome people to the beach and lake area. 
















Next, after generous donations and kindness of McKinley Landing Residents and Lakeside Communities Inc. a beautiful bench in Shayla’s memory has been installed. The location, bench and inscription, is stunning! The placement between the two trees has deep meaning, as Ponderosa trees symbolize reaching for the stars and eternal life. 

I like to believe that at some time in her existence, after a day of swimming, she leaned against one of the trees in order to catch her breath.

This was the last tribute to be done in my babygirl’s memory and I am struck with such a profound sense that this is actually Shayla’s final ‘resting place,’ instead of the reservoir.

I recall last year, sitting between the trees, having tea with Brad Dahl and Shane Jamieson. We reflected on how extraordinary the view was and perfect the location would be for the bench. I am deeply grateful for being consulted about what the plaque should say. At the time, I was listening to a song and expressed to Shane the sentiments of its message. Therefore, “An Angel by your Side” came to mind and was made into a plaque.

In wanting to further acquire information about Lakeside Communities Inc., I spoke with Tobi McNeil- Assistant Development Manager, Kelowna Region of Melcor. We shared alot at great length and I found her to be kind-hearted and caring about my immeasurable loss.
She provided me with the following information about Melcor Developments Ltd.  The company is the managing partner and 50% owner of Lakeside Communities Inc.

Timothy Melton is the Executive Chairman and Andrew Melton is the Executive Vice Chairman of Melcor Developments Ltd., the company that has operated as a family real estate firm since 1923.  It has been operating as Melcor Developments Ltd. since 1976.

What impressed me and touched my heart was a quote that Tobi shared with me that is on their website by the Executive Chairman: "The secret of our longevity is achieving results through good people.  The Golden Rule - treat others as you would be treated - has been passed along through three generations of company leadership". - Timothy Melton

This rule was also how Shayla lived her life. I researched more and found the vision of Melcor to correlate directly to the way my daughter wanted to impact the world.

Through the companies values of honesty, integrity, loyalty, respect, quality and pride in all that they do and in their interactions with their customers, suppliers, shareholders and employees they seek to implement The Golden Rule.

It brings me a great deal of comfort to know a family full of values respects my late daughters ideals and have contributed to the beginning of something amazing. I am thrilled to share that Shayla’s bench is to become part of a waterfront park to be developed and created within four acres of the area. I am content knowing the people of McKinley and Lakeside Communities forged together in nature’s beauty, to create a lasting and loving tribute to my “Rae-bow child,” Shayla.



On behalf of the Alton, Osborne Family, friends and loved ones,
Thank you to each and everyone who contributed in making this memory bench possible!
Kindest Regards, Tonya L. Alton 





Video: Angel by Your Side ~ 

Francesca Battistelli

http://youtu.be/vvDBjNG_pws

3 comments:

  1. I want to extend my heartfelt gratitude to those who have sent me messages to my email regarding Shayla's bench <3 In keeping with the beautiful plaque, here is a direct link to the song which inspired me: http://youtu.be/vvDBjNG_pws
    On days when my heart is heavy from her immeasurable loss, I feel the love of my precious angel, uplift me with my Faith.
    Forever Missing You Babygirl XO <3
    Love You to the Moon and Back,
    Your Momma

    ReplyDelete
  2. This brought tears to my eyes What a amazing blog.. and story you have told about your (always) baby girl.. She was an amazing women and will continue to shine down on everyone she knows and loves... xo Love you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Michelle from one mother's heart to another, your friendship, love and support as I continue to grieve the loss of my daughter, is something I cherish! Shayla's beautiful legacy continues on in many brilliant ways, as the granite stone, rock shrine on top of a mountain, pebbles released, the memorial bench, safety changes to the road, a one time bursary given in her name and the release of 21 Painted Lady Butterflies are reflective of a life that continues to shine on! Love & Light to you too, my friend XO<3

      Delete

Please feel free to post a comment. Remember after you have written something, please click on the options given, press continue and then click on PUBLISH. Thank You :)